Don't be shocked...I bought the burlap. This isn't a repurposing project. But I found this cute project and wanted to try it. I'm in charge of bringing a craft project to my church's women's retreat at the end of September. The theme is a western one, and I think the burlap fits the theme well.
I found the burlap flower on Fave Crafts. It's a great site and even sends a newsletter of ideas each day. I've found lots of great things.
Click here for how it was made for Fave Crafts.
I tweaked the instructions just a bit. I used hot glue instead of tacky glue because I didn't want to wait for glue to dry. If you use hot glue, be aware that it could seep through the burlap and burn you or stick to the surface below. Using a low temp glue gun helps.
I cut a piece of burlap. I didn't do a specific measurement, but my guess is it's 5 x 10 inches. Just be aware that the bigger the piece, the larger the flower. I ran a line of hot glue down each long side about four burlap threads in from the sides.
Beginning at the center, I began pulling the long burlap threads. I had to be careful not to also pull the short threads.
I folded the burlap in half and glued it.
I began hot gluing a skewer to one end of the burlap piece and rolled it up, gluing as I went.
I fluffed out the ends of the flower to make it look more realistic. I made three of them. I think I like it better without a button in the center.
I think it will be a great project for our women's retreat. I'm looking forward to it.
I made these tassles from the long burlap threads that I pulled out. I couldn't bear to just throw them away, so I made these simple tassles by gathering a bunch of threads, folding them in half, and using one thread to tie them together. I'm thinking they would be great add-ons to wrapped packages.
I'm showing these off at the following parties: