Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Nowhere near normal

Life has been interesting lately.

  My car died.  :(
In 2007 I purchased a Chrysler Sebring convertible.  It had been my dream car since I was in high school.  My husband and I were driving down the highway a week and a half ago when the car started acting weird.  We pulled it to the side of the road and turned off the engine.  That was the end.  The engine is dead.  We soon discovered that it would not be an easy or inexpensive fix.  It was our only vehicle, so we had to get something else quickly.  We didn't want to spend very much because we want to either fix my Sebring or get something else we really like when we don't feel as much pressure.  So now we have a 22 year old Oldsmobile 98 Regency.  She is certainly showing her age, but she is running pretty well. 

This weekend my husband and I took part in a wonderful ministry called One Day With God, run by Forgiven Ministry.  The purpose is to unite prison inmates with their children for an entire day of fun and love.  On Friday we went to the prison to work just with the dads, going through a program to teach them a little bit about fatherhood that they can do even while being away from their kids.  On Saturday we went back and spent the day with a man and his two daughters.  It was so good to watch all the smiles and hugs.  One man we worked with had not even met his five-year-old daughter.  Another man had not seen his kids for nine years.  Even the men who have seen their kids on a regular basis were excited because they could spend the entire day with them and not have as many rules to follow during their visit.  At this particular prison, once a child turns five, he/she is no longer allowed to sit on dad's lap and cuddle.  One Day With God is so important to many of the inmates that they are sure to fulfill all the requirements they have to join in the program, including remaining infraction free for the six months leading up to that day.  Even having an angry look or failing to clean an area properly would be enough to prevent them from seeing their kids.  I can't even begin to express what a wonderful ministry this is and how it has impacted me.  Please go to their website and find out more.

Between the craziness of the car situation and the many hours ministering at the prison, I don't have any repurposing projects to show.  I'm working on some bracelets with a water bottle base wrapped in t-shirt material.  I also made a dryer sheet flower, but I need to tweek it a bit before showing it.  I'm also in the midst of making some cake stands with embroidery hoops and glass jars.  I hope to have something to show soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!